On September 5, a new wave of Russian airstrikes targeted militants’ positions in the northwestern Syrian region of Greater Idlib.
The airstrikes hit the following areas:
- The town of al-Bara in the southern countryside of Idlib;
- The towns of Kafryadin and Sheikh Sndian in the western countryside of Idlib;
- The town of Kabani in the northern countryside of Lattakia.
One of the airstrikes hit a target located right next to an observation post of the Turkish military in the outskirts of al-Bara.
مجند تركي 🇹🇷 يقوم بتوثيق القصف الروسي 🇷🇺 على جبل الزاوية 🇸🇾. pic.twitter.com/XBlNkeamnI
— # (@A_MQQ) September 5, 2021
— انس المعراوي (@anasanas84) September 5, 2021
اللهم سلم اللهم سلم pic.twitter.com/vhQ0VcFQDQ
— الشام الجريحة 🥀💔 (@llllllllmalllll) September 5, 2021
استهداف احد اوكار الارهاب بمحيط جبل الزاوية في ريف ادلب. pic.twitter.com/cDSByrcj45
— محمد يونس (@FdJJCtfPMhSmmHw) September 5, 2021
Sources affiliated with al-Qaeda-linked Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), the de-facto ruler of Greater Idlib, claimed that the Russian airstrikes were a response to an incident that took place in the early morning.
According to the sources, HTS’s special forces and snipers killed three soldiers of the Syrian Arab Army elite 25th Special Forces Division and a Russian service member who attempted to infiltrate the frontline near the town of Ma’arat Muakhas in the southern countryside of Idlib.
These claims appear to be nothing more than propaganda as they were not confirmed by any credible news source in Greater Idlib.
The situation in Greater Idlib remains unstable. Russian warplanes have been bombing the area for more than two weeks now. Yet, HTS and its allies continue to launch attacks in violation of the ceasefire agreement that was brokered by Russia and Turkey on 5 March 2020.
- Syrian Army Resumes Military Operations Against Wanted Gunmen In Daraa Al-Balad (Videos)
- Daraa Al-Balad Leaders Call On Jordan King To Grant Them Refuge As Syrian Authorities Prepare Evacuation Buses (Video, Photos)